Daniel Pink is a bestselling author who uses social science research to explore big questions about what it means to be human. He’s written six books, and a new one comes out in February—The Power of Regret. You can also check out his Masterclass on sales and persuasion. In our conversation, Dan gives a look into his writing process. How does he go from an idea for a book to the final product? And how does he draw on social science along the way? This was a super fun chat—check it out!
Things that come up in our conversation:
- Scapple: a mind-mapping app that Dan uses.
- The psychology of counterfactual thinking (see Smallman & Summerville, 2018)
- Classic social influence study on reusing hotel towels (Goldstein, Cialdini, & Griskevicius, 2008)
- “Paper Lion” by George Plimpton
- Stumbling on Happiness by Dan Gilbert
- How to Change by Katy Milkman